- Singers Inc. evolved into an indie label that I use to release my own stuff. It's also a music hub, and I use it as a vehicle to teach vocals - have done since 2005 (http://www.singers.co.za/).
- I have released my first album, an Afro-Pop effort (http://www.platoon.co.za/).
- I am busy working on my debut solo album (http://www.robrodell.com/).
- I am a co-founder of the Music Business Academy, a school that aims to address the skills shortage in the music industry in Africa (http://www.mbac.co.za/). Africa is the cradle of music and yet the people here are the least music business savvy. That has to change.
- I teach performing arts workshops to high school students who want to break into the industry.
- I'm busy co-writing a musical or three.
- I'm busy doing my PhD on trends in music marketing and music branding, and if all goes according to plan, I'll become one of the very first people in Africa to successfully complete my Licentiate in Singing (Performance) through Rockschool. Hope I pass!!!!
As a result of all of these things, I am, for the first time in my life, able to do music as a day job, full-time, and make enough money from it to thrive. I am so happy as a result!
Why would you care? First, I just had to tell the world. As http://www.trendwatching.com/ points out, it's Generation C - the content creator is me. Second, as I have been inspired, so I hope to inspire. People ask me all the time how to quit their lousy day jobs. Let's see if I can help - with advice and coaching online. Thanks for reading.