Monday, June 21, 2010

Encouragement again...

This is like my own big online personal diary, and what is it about my exhibitionist nature that propels me to post tidbits about my music career here? Ego, no doubt...

Anyway, on 11 June, the start of the World Cup in SA, I went and saw Crighton Goodwill, a SAMA-winning producer (the SAMAs are the South African equivalent of the Grammys). I'm thinking of working with him to do a track or two. He listened to my stuff and said, though the production lets me down a bit and my style of writing is a bit dated, that I am a good songwriter!
Then on 16 June, Youth Day in SA, I saw one of my students, Lisa Bornman, for a singing lesson. Two things she said in conversation really stuck with me: 1. "Rob, you're a massive talent." 2. I am not the corporate bunny type, and it's so NOT me, therefore I should never consider returning to such a career. Not that I had ever intended to...

I'm so encouraged by these things, and the reason I share them is that I am insecure about my musical talent, and I often feel like I have not yet achieved the great heights I have set for myself. Sometimes it really is just good to stop and take in those roses...

No comments:

Post a Comment