Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Building my brand's equity

The serendipity of the universe never ceases to amaze me. I think I often questioned why it is that I ended up studying marketing communications at the same time that I was studying music. Now it's so patently clear why that was one of the best decisions I have ever made.


Everybody bandies about the branding thing: branding this, branding that, build the brand, protect the brand. I think sometimes people have no clue what that means, but when you have had a plethora of brand experts tell you that everybody is involved in building the brand, it should come as no surprise that everybody talks about branding.

Allow me to indulge my narcissism for a minute: I actually studied branding! It was the topic for my master's degree in marketing communications. I have used that knowledge to build the Rob Rodell brand, and it has become one of my lifelong pursuits.

Imagine then, how happy I was, when I went to the Wedding Expo at The Dome in Jo'burg this past Sunday, and a woman photographer said to me, "Oh, but I've seen your logo somewhere before. Why does your name sound so familiar?" You couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I whooped with glee! I am finally building my brand's equity, and brand familiarity is slowly starting to take root. I ain't a global megastar yet, but even the world's greatest brands had humble beginnings.

This is what I live for, baby! Building a powerful music brand is the most fun in the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment