Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 23: Free Nelson Mandela

I went to the Apartheid Museum today, to look up info on Ladysmith Black Mambazo for the second assignment for my BMus degree. There wasn't much there about them, but I inadvertently stumbled across a exhibition about Nelson Mandela, because he was released from prison today 20 years - I forgot!

Mind you, not that I should have forgotten - it was this time 20 years ago that I started studying at the then Rand Afrikaans University (now the University of Johannesburg). It's quite a milestone for me, because 20 years on, I am now doing my D Litt et Phil degree AND I've just started my BMus - so 2010 is a very significant year for me, just as 1990 was. I still remember the rector at the time delivering a Harold McMillan-type speech about the winds of change blowing through Africa again, 30 years after that first speech in 1960.

Of course, what the hell this has to do my music journey is a mystery. I guess music has just always been an integral part of the world's liberation, and it was interesting seeing Amy Winehouse singing "Free Nelson Mandela" at Madiba's 46664 concert in London's Hyde Park, with a full gospel choir backing her, and Josh Groban FAR in the background.

Madiba, if you're reading this, I wanna perform at the 46664 concert this year! More tomorrow.

Days to go: 342

No comments:

Post a Comment