Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 39: On The Beach

This is also a song by Chris Rea, and though this is a music blog, well, hey, all music and no play makes Rob a very dull boy. Even Madonna takes holidays...

So I finally arrived in Durbs this morning after my 17-hour train ride. Third class is safe (police & security) but noisy. I am so glad to finally be at the beach, even though I'm exhausted after my train trip. I will either be going home by bus or plane tomorrow. No more third class trains for me. It was fun, it was an experience, but it's over now!

Durban is wonderful. The sea is catharsis for the soul - I have written some of my best songs at the coast, on the beach. One day in the not-too-distant future I will buy a place down here. But I could never live here permanently - Johannesburg, for all its ills, is such a powerful music city magnet that my career is far healthier up there than it is down here. No, if I want to combine music and the beach it would have to be Los Angeles.

Days to go: 326

No comments:

Post a Comment