Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 29: Ladysmith Black Mambazo

You know, I always moan at myself and berate myself for not being as far along in the music industry as I'd like to be. But you know what else? I have only been seriously pursuing my music career for four years now, since 2006. Before that, I was confused about whether or not to sing opera or musical theatre, and before that, I was still learning how to sing properly - even though I did my first professional gig at age 16.

So when I compare myself to Ladysmith Black Mambazo (LBM), I see that I still have a long way to go - but I also acknowledge what I have achieved so far. But LBM has been around since 1960 - 50 years this year! It took them 26 years to walk with Paul Simon on Graceland, and 27 years to win their first Grammy. Now THAT is a dedicated music career. I'll get there... Luckily for me, music is not like sports - if you don't start young it's too late. I still believe my best years, and my best music, have yet to be lived and written.

Days to go: 336

No comments:

Post a Comment