Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 30: Uncles Winston & Franklin @ the Fireside

I feel a little down today, I have to admit. My mom always says I have too many irons in the fire, and this time I've really gone and done it. I have way too much on my plate, and I feel like my music career is suffering. Lecturing all day, and doing a BMus and a D Litt et Phil at the same time, whilst still trying to songwrite, get on top of my music marketing and all the other stuff... I feel totally overwhelmed.

I imagine it was particularly hard for Britain living through the darkest days of the Blitz in 1941, with only the resolve of Winston Churchill between them and utter despair. I imagine FDR's famed fireside chats did much the same for the American psyche as they entered the war.

Maybe the dreams I have for my music career are too much. Maybe they're just pipe dreams. I'm tired. But I know I won't be happy if I don't at least try. Even if I fail, at least I know I tried. My favourite line from the movie The Battle of Britain is when the British Ambassador to Switzerland says to the German Ambassador, "So don't dictate to us until you're marching up Whitehall, and even then we won't listen!" I love it. It's Britain showing Nazi Germany the finger.

That's what I'm doing right now: the determined me is showing the critical, doubtful me the finger. Up yours, pal! I'm never gonna quit. I might need a rest tonight, but I am never quitting. As I say, I guess they'll just have to wheel me onto the stage with my wheelchair and oxygen mask, to collect my Grammy when I'm 83.

Days to go: 335

No comments:

Post a Comment